Dairy Free | Protein | Natural Energy Booster
I feel beau-ti-FULL now, thanks to this creamy and luscious goodness in a jar.
My usual go-to preworkout drink is always a green smoothie. But sometimes I like to mix things up to keep this plant-based lifestyle a little more interesting.
Before I get to the recipe, I want to share with you a faster and easier way to make non-dairy milk. If you have made my homemade almond milk before, you probably remember that extra steps which included soaking the almonds and straining the pulp out.
Hemp milk is so much easier to make, now that you have the option of bypassing those two steps. Hemp seeds are small and fragile enough and they blend really well with a Vitamix. The texture is smooth and creamy, which makes it a perfect addition to overnight oats, chia pudding, or in this case, a chocolate milkshake.
How to Make Hemp Milk
- 4 cups filterd water
- 1 cup hemp seeds
- Pinch of pink Himalayan/sea salt
- Optional sweeteners: 2-4 dates or 1 tbsp maple syrup or 1 tbs raw honey, or 2 tbs coconut sugar
Blend until desired creamy consistency. This milk can be stored in the refrigerator for a few days.
Chocolate Hemp Milkshake
- 1+ cup hemp milk
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 dates
- 2 tablespoon cacao
- 1 teaspoon maca powder (optional; helps balance hormones and energy!)
- Optional: 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp cinnamon
- More ice if needed
Blend and enjoy!
5 Reasons Why This Drink is Good For You
- Hemp seeds are super high in protein (including 10 essential amino acids). 1 cup hemp seeds = about 44 g of protein!
- Hemp seeds are also a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, calcium, magnesium, potassium, phosphorous, vitamin A.
- Maca powder is made from a root from Peru, and is rich in B vitamins (which gives your body natural energy). It’s also high in calcium and magnesium. More importantly, maca is an adoptogen, which helps balance your hormones.
- Cacao powder is the raw, unprocessed form of chocolate. Not to be confused with cocoa powder, cacao is full of antioxidants, magnesium, and also B vitamins.
- Banana and dates are Mother Earth’s candy! They give you a quick surge of natural energy to help you through an intense workout.
Other Ways to Enjoy Hemp Milk
- Pour on top on top of your favorite oatmeal mix
- Use it to make chia pudding
- Use it in smoothie recipes for an extra creaminess and boost of protein and omega 3’s
- Add a tablespoon of matcha green tea powder for extra antioxidants and anti-aging power.