Kale, oh kale. An over-rated, over-used, hyped up green leafy vegetable?
Kale will forever remain a staple in my kitchen.
What makes this vegetable earn it’s celebrity status is due to the chlorophyll content that helps detoxify your body. In other words, it’ll clean your pipes out. And we all need a good cleaning once in awhile, wouldn’t you agree?
Fall is the perfect time (aside from Spring) for a gentle cleanse so you can prep and prime your body for the colder months to come.
Here are three main reasons why you should detox your body with whole foods during this season:
- Boost immune system (less colds and flu!!)
- Lose excess weight before the holiday season
- Clear your mind and allow your organs to reset, especially your liver!
So what are some of the key ingredients in this Detox Salad besides kale?
- Pumpkin seeds are high in antioxidants and minerals. They also help detox the body and keep your skin stay radiant through the dry and cold winter weather
- Hemp seeds are high in protein and also help eliminate wastes.
- Red cabbage are one of those vegetables that are always ignored, but they are so nutrient-dense! This reddish purple vegetable kicks ass in providing polyphenols (the same antioxidants in green tea and blueberries). It also detoxifies your cells and contribute to healthy and glowing skin due to the high vitamin A.
- Carrots, besides being sweet and crunchy, helps to eliminate toxins out of your colon. It bulks up your stool, making it more soft and helps get everything out! Sorry, I had to go there. We are talking about detox after all! 😉
- Pomegranate are potent anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory fruits, and a strong immune system.
- Avocados have healthy fats that will help keep you full and satisfied.
You can eat this salad by itself or with some added lentils. I usually eat it for lunch and it’s filling enough as a meal without the heaviness feeling. You know that feeling you get right after lunch when you just want to play hooky and skip class? Or turn off the lights in your office and take a power nap?
Yeaaah, that feeling that we want to avoid.
The hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, and kale are full of protein. However if you wish you can add a bit extra of your protein of choice.
To make this detox salad, massage the kale with the dressing and add the rest of the ingredients mentioned above. Here’s a quick tutorial on how to massage kale.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp tahini
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed (optional)
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Half a pomegranate
- Mix all ingredients in a mason jar and pour over kale leaves.
- Massage kale until it wilts and changes color.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Note: You can also omit the olive oil and use water.