Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Sugar Free
I love Spring rolls. That’s no surprise considering I am Asian after all.
Buuut- I want to share with you a healthier version of the traditional pork-shrimp-and vermicelli noodles that I used to eat. This vegetarian spring roll is amazingly fresh and flavorful.
If you look in my fridge right now, there are two Tupperware full of julienne vegetables like carrots and cucumbers. That’s part of my food prep each week.
I can quickly throw them in salads, roll them in sushi or in this case, wrap them in brown rice paper.
I found these awesome brown rice papers on Amazon. They’re gluten-free and much more nutritious than white rice paper. They taste fresh and have a slightly thicker, yet soft texture.
They’re probably the world’s first wrappers made from whole brown rice. In fact as of the time that i’m writing this, I can only find these wrappers sold online. And they always seem to be out of stock every few weeks.
Check out the ingredients: Brown rice, cassava, water, organic green tea, salt. Erm…pretty awesome huh? Organic green tea? That alone is probably worth the extra cost.
The company was found by Karen Cheng from San Francisco and Thao Nguyen from Vietnam. Two friends with an idea to make healthier Vietnamese food from their grandmother’s traditional recipes. They even came up with instant Pho noodles made from brown rice, without all the MSG, wheat, artificial crap, and preservatives.
Isn’t that amazing?! You can read all about their journey and products here.
Simply combine some fresh veggies, protein and herb, roll them up and dip it in a sauce.
If you need a quick tutorial on how to make spring rolls, additional ideas for ingredients, and more sauce ideas, head on over here.
- 1 cup red or green cabbage
- 1 cup carrots
- 1 cup cucumbers
- 1 avocado
- As many mint or basil leaves as you can handle
- 4 sheets of brown rice paper
- Optional: red bell peppers
- (Peanut Dipping Sauce)
- ¼ cup peanut butter (or almond butter)
- 1 tbsp coconut palm sugar
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 2 tbsp lime/lemon juice
- 1-2 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes (or Sriracha)
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 2+ tablespoon water to thin it out.
- Julienne all your vegetables about 2 inches long.
- Dip one brown rice wrapper into a big bowl of warm water for a few seconds.
- Place wrapper on cutting board and add slices of carrot, cucumber, 4 mint leaves, and avocado
- Fold two opposite sides of wrapper first and then roll tightly
- Cut roll in half
- Serve rolls with dipping sauce and enjoy!
- **For dipping sauce combine all ingredients in a food processor, or whisk it by hand.