This post-workout smoothie is refreshing, energizing and easy to whip up.
The walnuts provide heart healthy omega 3’s and magnesium for muscles. Spices like cinnamon provides antioxidant power and has been shown to increase metabolism.
Celery replenishes sodium loss while bananas replace potassium loss. Both electrolytes are crucial for recovery after a tough workout.
- 2 large Fuji apples (any kind is fine but Fuji is one of the sweetest)
- 1 frozen ripe banana
- 1 handful of walnuts (about 1/4 cup or 6 walnuts)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (add according to your taste)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon ground flax seeds (optional)
- 1 cup apple juice
- 3 celery stalks (or 1 cup spinach)
- 1 scoop of plant-based vanilla protein powder
- 5-6 ice cubes
Place all ingredients in blender. Blend until smooth. Enjoy!
Substitution: You can replace apple juice for almond milk and walnuts for almond butter or almonds.
You can also make your own pumpkin pie spice:
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
*Add half of this mix to your smoothie, taste, and add more if needed.